“Thus says the Lord, “Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,” declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23,24
The last two weeks of information and response to Covid-19 have been dizzying to say the least! Probably not since 9/11 (in 2001) has our nation and the nations of the world been so riveted to daily news from all sources.
In spite of all of this, God is doing great works through this crisis. And He wants us to observe them and be a part of them. “Great are the works of the Lord: They are studied (or literally “sought out”) by all who delight in them.” (Psalm 111:2)
Through this crisis God is:
- Helping us (including restaurants, stores, businesses, etc.) to be more careful and diligent regarding cleanliness.
- Helping us to be prepared for any future crises that could affect our water and other supplies. It is the mercy of God that it happened before an even worse catastrophe hit us.
- Causing many of us to pay more attention to our health, diet, and exercise. “Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?” I Cor. 6:15
- Causing us who know Him to be more fully cleansed and healed of fears of all kinds, “that through death He might ….free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives….” Hebrews 2:14,15.
- Causing us to be more compassionate towards the lost who are captive to all kinds of fear, and headed for an eternity separated from our Lord Jesus Christ. “Do not fear those who kill the body, but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell” (Matthew 10:28)
- Causing us to passionately pray for our lost neighbors, friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. “Brethren, my hearts desire and my prayer to God for them, is for their salvation” (Romans 10:1)
- Causing us to cry out to Him for more boldness to proclaim the gospel as He opens doors for such. “And now Lord, take note of their threats, and grant that your bondservants may speak Your word with all confidence” (Acts 4:29)
- Causing families to communicate, plan and pray more as a unit.
- Causing His church to see they can live without constant viewing of sports events.
- Causing our Federal Government to see its need to depend more on Him (see Pres. Trump’s declaration of tomorrow’s National Day of Prayer herein - https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-proclamation-national-day-prayer-2019/?utm_source=link)
- Causing many unsaved people to see how vulnerable they are and unable to control things. “Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.” (James 4:14)
- Causing His church to utilize tools of technology in more effective ways, when our being together physically is challenged.
- Causing His church to become more a “house = people of prayer”, which He has always meant for us to be. “My house shall be called a house of prayer”, (Matthew 21:13).
May the Lord open our eyes to all that He is saying and doing in these days of opportunity! May we cooperate through prayer and action with Him.
If you have any other thoughts about what God is doing through this, let me know.